We introduced LCVP into our school in September 2011.
LCVP is designed to enhance the vocational dimension of the established Leaving Certificate. It is a 2 year programme and LCVP combines the academic strengths of the Leaving Certificate (established) with a new a dynamic focus on self-directed learning, innovation and enterprise. There are two Link Modules which students study called
1. Preparation for the World of Work where students are encouraged to
- research and investigate local employment opportunities,
- develop job seeking skills such as letter writing, CV presentation, interview techniques;
- gain valuable practical experience of the world of work
- interview and work shadow a person in a career area that interests them
2. Enterprise Education, where students are encouraged to
- be involved in organising visits to local business and community enterprises;
- meet and interview enterprising people on site and in the classroom
- set up their own enterprise projects as vehicles of learning.
For the link modules they are assessed by a final written examination (40%)and a Portfolio of coursework (60%). Students assemble the portfolio over the 2 years of the programme and it is assessed at the end of the final year of the Leaving Certificate.
Included in the Portfolio are Curriculum vitae, Career investigation, Enterprise/ action plan and a Summary report. Optional items include a Diary of work experience, an Enterprise report, a Recorded interview/ presentation and a Report on my own place.